from Kim Trott, CREWC chef
- 3 ripe (or over ripe) bananas
- 2 cups spelt flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1-tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup butter or Earth Balance (Coconut Earth Balance is my new favorite)
- 1 cup sucanat
- 2 eggs or egg replacer
- 1/4 tsp vanilla
- splash of milk , coconut milk soy or rice milk (just a splash!)
- 1/2 to 1 cup chopped walnuts or nuts of choice
- 1/3 cup carob or chocolate chips (optional) or dried fruit: raisins, cranberries, prunes etc.
Mix dry ingredients set aside.
In separate bowl, mix wet ingredients .
Add wet to dry just until blended (do not over-mix)
Pour into greased loaf pan and bake at 325 for 50 to 60 mins.
Check with tooth pick, if it comes out clean the bread is done.
I find it takes 60 minutes but each oven is different. I also use middle rack — if you find the top is browning to soon, move to a lower rack.