from Kim Trott, chef extraordinaire for Carp Ridge Learning Centre & EcoWellness Centre
Here’s a holiday treat with organic ingredients and Sucanat (whole cane sugar, a bit healthier & less processed than white sugar):
- 3/4 cup organic butter or Earth Balance spread
- 3/4 cup Sucanat
- 3/4 cup organic molasses
- 1 organic egg
- 2 cups organic spelt flour
- 2 cups organic whole wheat flour or choice of flour
- 2 tsp ginger
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 pinch sea salt
Preheat oven 350.
Mix dry ingredients in large bowl.
Mix wet ingredients in medium bowl and slowly add to the dry mix.
Refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours.
Use whole wheat or choice flour to powder the surface and roll out dough to 1/4″ thickness (you can make a little thicker cookie if you wish).
Cut with cookie-cutters or knife and bake 10 to 15 minutes. . . or until firm to touch.
Frost with no-nut butter, or a nut butter of your choice (or a glaze of honey) and decorate with assorted healthy sprinkles such as: coconut, raisins, dried cranberries and other dried fruit, nuts, cereals, granola etc.
‘For the Birds’ Cookie Treats (for our little feathered friends and their furry ‘buddies’)
- Use old bread cut with cookie cutters into shapes.
- Use old cookies or whatever is left over, stale crackers etc., and poke a small hole and tie ribbon, twine, string, etc. to make an ‘ornament’.
- Spread with nut butter, honey, or syrup so they’re sticky on both sides and dip into a pail of bird seed. Hang in trees for the birds and other forest animals. . . be sure to use eco-friendly string or something you’ll be able to pick up after as pets and other animals may eat it!
Have a Berry Merry Christmas from the Learning Centre!